Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Mom License - Rejected!



So, I knew that I was really, REALLY late in scheduling Hudson's 1 year doctor visit. Yes, I can see you scrolling down to see when he actually turned 1 and how long it has been. Let me save you the trouble. He turned 1 in March. It is now the end of July. Yes, I know, he is in fact a little bit older than 1 year old. I know, I know. But doctor visits, especially well child checkups, and especially during ANY type of outbreak (cold, flu, chicken pox, H1 whatever) are not a high priority. So sue me. When I finally got him scheduled for his checkup, I patted myself on the back and went on with herding the chickens, I mean children.

The day came for him to visit our wonderful and sweet pediatrician, Dr. Brasher. Carolyn, his nurse, came in first to do the initial measurements. Then she pulled up his chart and there was a moment of quiet and confusion. "Did you bring his immunization card?" Why, yes, I certainly did! I am such a prepared and fantastic mom! Go on, admire me! Then Carolyn said "I thought our records were wrong. Your card is the same as what I show here. He has not received any of his immunizations since his 6 month shots."

Huh? I know I'm bad at doctor visits, but am I really THAT bad? Apparently so. That is when Dr. Brasher came in and reviewed all the measurements, nutrition, and safety information pertaining to a TWELVE MONTH OLD. He knows Hudson is older than this. He really knows that Hudson is older than 6 months, but he is trying to be nice.

Then he starts adding up all the shots that we are behind and tells me "he needs 8 immunizations today to catch him up." and then he waits for all the guilt to knock me over. At this point I start shamefully apologizing to my little guy. "We can combine a couple of them so that he is only getting 6 pokes today. But, you need to schedule him for another appointment in 6 months to complete the series". I nod in complete submission and give Hudson another guilt ridden kiss.

And then it happened. He asked me to surrender my mother licence. He puts me on probation and sternly tells me that if, in the next 6 months, any one of the kids cross the street without looking both ways, if they venture any further than the front porch without shoes on, if they leave the house without their hair done, clothes on right sided and matching, or in church shoes with white socks, I may lose it permanently. All this with a disappointed expression and a finger waving in my face. Of course this may have just been my guilty conscience reprimanding me like Jimminy Cricket, but I swear I heard the good doctor say it.

Then Hudson is pinned down by the best mother in the world, and I assist Carolyn while she pokes him 2 times in each leg, and once in each arm. He sits up on the bed and starts to rub his own biceps while crying with a look on his face that seemed to say "See Lady?!? This is why I won't say mama!!". As if the guilt couldn't get any worse.

We bolted out of there as fast as we could, what with me hanging my head and all. I took him and all of the siblings out for lunch with dad, and then to the Bean Museum as an apology. Hudson seemed to accept it. Especially when I bought him a stuffed lion to hold while walking through the animals. It was the least I could do.


And that next appointment? I'll call and schedule that really soon. I promise. We just have to get through the first days of school, and then after piano lessons, and then... and then....

No comments:

Post a Comment