Tuesday, July 21, 2009

It Was Awesome Again - Attempt #2



I am so gluttin'. For punishment, that is.

We decided to give the ol' camping another go. We made plans with some of my absolutely favorite people on this great green earth; our neighbors, the Christensen's. They are wonderful and the only thing I can find wrong with them is that they don't live close enough. They live across the street from us, as opposed to next door. You see their weakness.

The thinking was that we could do just a close to home overnighter. Lisa is my kind of camper. She likes to be able to see the city from the campsite, and she is deathly afraid of bears so we don't go very high up into the "nature". Perfect. Plus, she is fascinating and amazingly interesting. I love to discuss anything with her. I could listen to her describe her girls' shoes, and come away thinking that they probably have the most intelligent shoes ever. I'm betting that with her around, this camping trip just might change my opinion on the topic of roughin' it.

They make the arrangements for Hobblecreek Canyon, about 45 minutes from our house. We load up and take off on time, which constitutes a camping miracle in and of itself. Maybe this time will be better! Maybe it will be fun!! Maybe Lisa is my personal camping angel!!! We start the drive and stop in Springville for a directional pow-wow.


This is when the camping trip fell back into the awesome category.


Harrison tells us that his stomach hurts and immediately takes off his seat belt to get out of the car. We make it to a gas station trash can (eww) where he empties the contents of his belly. Nice. We are thinking and hoping out loud that this is just an episode of carsickness - never mind that Harrison has never gotten carsick in his entire life. Lisa and I go inside the convenience store; she for a caffeine fix, me for a bunch of the biggest cups they have to use as impromptu puke pails, just in case. I will never look at those giant cups the same.

We successfully make it to the campsite which is definitely the best one in the campground. It was secluded, had nice tables and a fire pit, and was placed right on the edge of a lovely stream. Beautiful. We tried to soak up all the fresh air and the sound of the rushing water, all the while Harrison was sitting on the ground clutching his stomach. When he used the last of his barf buckets, I made the decision to take the boys home, much to Harrison's dismay. "No, mom. I feel much better" he said as his face drained of all color. "I don't want to leave Grace and Brynn. I'll be just fine". Good times. No, really. Good times.

The drive home was okay. He fell asleep before we had traveled half a mile from the campsite. He only threw up two more times in the car, and then we were home. He and his pale little face collapsed into my bed, and there we rested while Jeb and the girls slept in the tent. Me and Mr. Pukey, or Jeb and the tent. I still haven't decided who had the worst end of the stick.

When we woke up the next morning, Harrison was feeling much better. Just one of those little bugs, I guess. We loaded up the car, again, and went back up the mountain to get the rest of our clan. We had breakfast up with the group and even managed a small hike. It ended up being really pleasant.

I did miss out on the adult late night fireside discussions, but hopefully there will be more of those later on. That's right. I just hoped for another go at camping. Maybe I'm getting used to all the awesomeness. Maybe.

1 comment:

  1. You are a sweet friend. I'd go again, so you can get the full experience. :) I'll think of something more interesting to talk about than the kids shoes. Their hair maybe...I've got a few hair stories I could wow you with! Have I ever told you about the time Chad washed Grace's hair with baby oil gel? priceless.

    hugs,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete