Friday, May 20, 2011

My Buddy


After much procrastination and under much pressure from family (Abigail) I buckled down and started the potty training process with Hudson a little bit ago.

Potty training! (you say with great emphasis on the exclamation point!) Why that's the highlight in any mother's life! It's the thing you look forward to as soon as you see that second pink line! You say "We are going to have a baby! And then, we are going to be able to potty train in about 3 years!" Hooray for fertility! (exclamation point, exclamation point, and more exclamation point!)

I had other plans with this Buster. I was ready to let him go to kindergarten untrained, and then be shamed into doing it by his peers. Then I would just transfer him to another school and my work would be done. "Easiest kid to potty train" I would tell you. But my plans were not everyone else's plans, as it turns out.

But really, this post isn't about potty training my Hudson. I'll just tell you it was relatively easy after he figured out that no matter how passionately he cried, he was still going to do it. And once he had that revelation, he also figured out that when it was time to "go try again" he had mom to himself, all to himself, for as long as it took and he loved it (and not so secretly, so did I). We've had many fascinating conversations, my Buster and I, while waiting things out. We've discussed the weather outside the bathroom window, "Ooh. It's winny taday, mommy". He's given me wonderfully helpful makeup tips when it comes to foundation and concealer, "Your noggin! Don't forget your noggin!". I love it when I say, "Do you need to go potty?" and he replies with "Yup. You sit wis me, mommy?". Sitting wis him has actually become the nicest parts of my day.

The best thing that has come from all of this is my new BF(hopefully)F. Suddenly with all the time I get to spend with just my Buster Blue, he's become my newest suitor. Wherever I go he goes. I teach him everything that I know. Now, all we need are matching overalls and to start climbing trees to make this thing legit. You don't know what I'm talking about? Why it's only the best song from Saturday morning commercials in the 80s, and the thing I sing to Hudson every time he wants my company.



It's a good thing we had a theme song already, right? I think that was the thing that put this potty training in the bag for us both. Done and done. I love my buddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment